Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Minidisc recommendation?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member johnpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Can anyone recommemd a minidisc recorder? I've heard the sony mz-r90's have a loud operating noise. Or should I just go with DAT - I've also heard stories of minidiscs skipping and erasing disc contents. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member #Pedro's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 12th, 2000
    Posts
    266
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The very best field sound you can capture with the old fashioned technology of UHER report 4400 monitor models. There are some at eBay for very very low prices. At 19 cm/sec they actually sound much better than any digital device, just try is out, it?s worth to hear it with your own ears.
    Pedro

  3. #3
    Inactive Member rollemfilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2000
    Posts
    437
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Marantz PMD650. It's the best. A great investment
    that will take you into the pro-sound world.
    Read about it here:
    members.aol.com/fmgp
    or go to the Marantz web page and search
    under pro audio...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member johnpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 1st, 2001
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for your posts. Nigel, just curious, what kind of dat and minidisc do you have and how do you like them? Microphone suggestions would be great as well. Thanks.

    JP

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use Nagra, DAT and I have started using MiniDisc in tha last 6 months. I still like the Nagra the best but the MiniDisc is small. I say try to get one where you can set the levels manually--then you are OK. Good Luck.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i have a sharp md-sr50 that is great. it's actually one of the cheapest ones around, but it sounds better than most i've tried. of course, the lack of balanced inputs, and the usual consumer amp that gets noisy at more than half gain or so, doesn't make it the best stand alone tool, but i always use it with a mixer anyway. please don't ask me what mixer i use--my sound guy handles all that. :-)

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a Tascam DA-P1 DAT and I think my MiniDisc is the MD-R37. It is small not the smallest but I can set my levels and I can record in Mono for 128min. I am not the be all and end all sound guy but I like to use a simple but high quality dynamic lightly directional hand held mic. I also like the ME-80 by Senheiser. Good Luck

  8. #8
    Inactive Member roxics's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 25th, 2001
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I use a sharp MD-MT15. It cost me $200 at Best Buy when I first bought it. I believe it sells for $180 or lower now. I've owned it for over a year and it is a great little device.

    I drive trucks for money and take this with me to listen to music. It has an aluminum case and is very durable. It has bounced around the trucks and fell on the floor and bounced around on the floor and never skips. I beat the hell out of it and have gotten every penny and more back out of it's use.

    I orginally bought it just as a novalty item since I always thought minidisc's we interesting. But it has been something I use all the time and I would have easily paid twice as much for it. It has a mic input and a mic volume control and let's you name the tracks and rearrange them. But aside from that it isn't the fanciest thing.

    It's just now starting to fall apart on me. Screws are coming out and such. Because of this it sometimes shuts off because it says the door was opened, which it wasn't. But you have to realize that this is because I've dropped it so many times over a year's time that anything would go after that much abuse. The aluminum body has several scratches and ding's in it. However it still works and sounds incredible. it's lasted alot longer then you'd expect for a $200 piece of electronics. If this one goes then I'll easily buy another.

    The funny thing is I usually buy everything sony but took a chance on a sharp device this time. Because of this minidisc recorder I'll easily consider buying more Sharp products.

    Sorry for the long post.


    [This message has been edited by roxics (edited March 15, 2001).]

  9. #9
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought this topic post might have relevance 5 months later.

    -Alex

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Curtin-Parloe's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2000
    Posts
    376
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I found the sony Mzr900 the best solution for me - its the only one I could find with an audio out facility (here in the good ole U of K)

    cheers

    Paul

    ------------------
    BAD EYE - Coming Soon www.curtin-parloe.co.uk/badeye Curtin Parloe 2001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •